Open to Writers of All Genres
The SWG is seeking applications of unpublished manuscripts for the 2022 City of Regina Writing Award.
The City of Regina Writing Award, funded by the City of Regina, is an annual award for literary merit in creative writing; it is open to Regina writers in all genres.
The award is designed to enable one local writer to work on a specific solo writing project for a three-month period. The winner will receive $4,500. Each runner-up will receive a one-week individual retreat at St. Peter's Abbey in Muenster, SK. The award competition is juried by professional writers from outside Saskatchewan.
You are eligible to apply for this award if you are 19 years and older and if you were a Regina resident as of January 1, 2021. Applicants may submit one entry to this competition per year.
The recipient of the award must complete the three-month grant period by the following February.
The decision of the jury will be final. Jurors may choose to not award the prize if they believe no submission merits it.
There is no application form for this program. Instead, send the following material as three separate documents:
- a 1 page cover letter which includes the following information:
- your contact information (including mailing address, email and primary phone number)
- a statement confirming that you are 19 years or older AND you have been a resident of Regina since January 1, 2021
- a 1-2 page statement of intent indicating how you will use the funds for your writing as well as a description and brief outline of your writing project
- this statement is to be separate from the cover letter and should NOT contain identifying information
- a 10 page sample of your writing (prose or poetry)
- this sample must be a portion of the project to be worked on
- do not send extra pages, as they will not be forwarded to the jury
- the outline or synopsis of the project is not considered to be part of your writing sample
Note: The judging for this competition is blind; therefore, your name, biographical information and/or previous work titles cannot appear on the statement of intent, sample of writing, and cannot be referred to on any part of the outline or synopsis—your entry will be returned if your name/previous work does appear or if the guidelines are not followed. Do not submit literary resumes, letters of support, reviews of previous work, or evaluations; these will be discarded.
To ensure that your application is processed, please follow the submission guidelines below:
- all material must be typed in plain text fonts (e.g. Times New Roman, Arial, Courier)
- font size 12 point with at least a one inch margin on all sides
- number each page
- writing sample
- the sample should be double-spaced for prose, single or double-spaced for poetry
- should be text only - do not send illustrations or photos
- please send documents as Word or PDF files - do not send Google docx or other files
- More information about the SWG's formatting guidelines can be found here.
Applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight January 17, 2022. Accepted applications will receive a confirmation email within two business days.
Current and past recipients
For more information, please contact:
T: 306.791.7743 | E: email@example.com