Open to Writers of All Genres
The SWG is seeking applications of unpublished manuscripts for the 2021 City of Regina Writing Award.
The City of Regina Writing Award, funded by the City of Regina, is an annual award for literary merit in creative writing; it is open to Regina writers in all genres.
The award is designed to enable one local writer to work on a specific solo writing project for a three-month period. The winner will receive $4,500. Each runner-up will receive a one-week individual retreat at St. Peter's Abbey in Muenster, SK. The award competition is juried by professional writers from outside Saskatchewan.
You are eligible to apply for this award if you are 19 years and older and if you were a Regina resident as of January 1, 2020. Applicants may submit one entry to this competition per year.
The recipient of the award must complete the three-month grant period by the following February.
The decision of the jury will be final. Jurors may choose to not award the prize if they believe no submission merits it.
There is no application form for this program. Instead, send the following material as three separate documents:
- a brief cover letter which includes the following information:
- your contact information (including mailing address, email and primary phone number)
- a statement confirming that you are 19 years or older AND you were a resident of Regina as of January 1, 2020
- a statement of intent indicating how you will use the funds for your writing as well as a description and brief outline of your writing project
- this statement is to be separate from the cover letter and should be no longer than two pages total
- a sample of your writing
- this sample must be a portion of the project to be worked on
- this sample should be ten pages long; do not send extra pages as they will be discarded
- an outline or synopsis of the project is not considered to be part of your writing sample
Note: The judging for this competition is blind; therefore, your name, biographical information and/or previous work titles cannot appear on the statement of intent, sample of writing, and cannot be referred to on any part of the outline or synopsis—your entry will be returned if your name/previous work does appear or if the guidelines are not followed. Do not submit literary resumes, letters of support, reviews of previous work, or evaluations; these will be discarded.
To ensure that your application is processed, please follow the submission guidelines below:
- all material must be typed in plain text fonts (e.g. Times New Roman, Arial, Courier) and not in display fonts such as Monotype Corsiva
- please keep font size to 11 or 12 point with at least a one inch margin on all sides
- writing sample
- the sample should be double-spaced for prose, single or double-spaced for poetry
- pages should be numbered sequentially
- do not send illustrations or photos
Applications must be emailed to email@example.com by midnight January 15, 2021. Accepted applications will receive a confirmation email within two business days.
Current and past recipients
For more information, please contact:
T: 306.791.7743 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org