Focus on Writing and Guidance
Facilitated Retreats are open to anyone living in Saskatchewan who likes to write. The retreat is designed as a time for participants to focus on their writing and to gain encouragement and motivation by interacting with the Writer-In-Residence and fellow participants. These retreats are intended as teaching situations, in which a Writer-in-Residence will offer guidance and advice to beginner or emerging writers. Facilitated retreats are offered each spring and fall at St. Peter’s Abbey in Muenster, SK.
Writers of all genres are encouraged to apply. For writers wishing to attend the SWG Writers/Artists Retreats but who may not qualify or who feel they’d like a taste of a writing retreat first, the SWG recommends attending a facilitated retreat as an introduction.
Preference will be given to SWG members who have not published a book and who have never attended any of the SWG retreats. This facilitated retreat is primarily a retreat for beginning and emerging writers and priority will be given to these writers. However, if there is space available, we will consider applications from established writers and non-SK residents.
The $300 retreat fees cover all consultation and classes with the Writer-in-Residence, private rooms and food for three days.
Please note that the SWG and St. Peter’s Abbey are following provincial health guidelines very carefully to ensure we can provide a safe and enjoyable Facilitated Retreat. This retreat will be held in Lower Severin Hall, which has private rooms and bathrooms for each retreatant, as well as communal space large enough to accommodate social distancing. Meals will be individually served, and masks and social distancing are required for all communal areas. All retreatants must be prepared to follow our requirements of wearing masks and social distancing, and provide their own transportation to and from the retreat.
Applicants must be 19 years of age or older and the application must include:
- The completed application form
- A cover letter that states:
- your name, address and phone numbers;
- short description of the type of work to be done at the retreat;
- a paragraph or two describing your writing experience;
- a paragraph about why you wish to attend the Facilitated Retreat;
- previous retreat stays, if any; and
- the names and contact information for two references who are familiar with your writing and can attest to your ability to work independently.
3. Writing sample, no more than 10 pages long, on which you wish to consult the Writer-in-Residence during the retreat.
4. All submissions must be received through our online application process.
- Payment is due two weeks after notification of acceptance to the facilitated retreat and may be submitted by cheque, PayPal or credit card.
- Non-payment of fees will result in rejection of your application without exception.
- A non-refundable late fee of $35 will apply to all applications received after the application deadline, and will be payable at the time of application.
- A late fee of $35 will apply to all payments outstanding as of two weeks prior to the start of the retreat.
Cancellation refunds will be processed as follows:
- 30 days or more prior to start date: 75% of funds returned.
- 14 days prior to retreat start date: 50% of funds returned.
- 7 days prior to retreat start date: 25% of funds returned.
- Cancellations within one week of retreat start dates are non-refundable.
- Applicants who apply by the deadline will be given first consideration although, if there are spaces available, applications will be considered up to three weeks prior to the beginning of the retreat period desired.
- If space is limited, preference will be given to those who have not had previous opportunities to attend.
- Preference will be given to Saskatchewan residents.
For more information, please contact:
T: 306.791.7743 | E: email@example.com