The Anne Campbell Memorial Scholarship provides one recipient with $500 for the Saskatchewan Writers' Guild Summer Writing Retreat. The scholarship is intended for an emerging Saskatchewan writer working on poetry or short stories.
This scholarship is funded through annual donations of $500 by the estate and family of Anne Campbell starting in 2023 for a period of at least five years. The funds will be donated to the Saskatchewan Writers' Guild Foundation and the scholarship is paid out from the principal amount, plus any other donations made by others to the fund, and any interest accrued.
The Anne Campbell Memorial Scholarship will provide the recipient with $500 to be used towards the SWG Summer Writing Retreat. Any remaining funds are for the personal use of the recipient.
The Anne Campbell Memorial Scholarship is intended for an emerging Saskatchewan writer working on poetry or short stories. For the purpose of this scholarship, an emerging writer will be considered as a practicing writer who is in the early stages of their career and who has not yet published a book or equivalent.
The recipient must be a resident of Saskatchewan and has been for one year prior to the beginning of the retreat.
The successful scholarship recipient must be accepted to the Summer Retreat. Previous recipients of the Scholarship, members of the adjudication committee, current employees or Board of the SWG are not eligible to be considered for this award.
An application process is required.
Criteria and Application Process
Applicants will submit a 1-2 page letter, outlining their response to the following criteria:
- A brief paragraph describing your writing in the genres of poetry or short stories
- A description of your goals for your writing and how attending the retreat will help you acheive these goals.
- Writing experience, including:
- How long you have been writing
- Any professional development you have undertaken to date (which could include workshops, classes or degrees, immersive experiences like Sage Hill or Banff Centre, writing group membership, working with a mentor, editor or Writer-in-Residence, attending literary learning opportunities, etc.)
- Any publications, including the publications’ name and genre.
Please submit this letter of application at the same time you are applying to the retreat.