The SWG Board of Directors
The SWG Board of Directors exists to provide guidance and direction to the SWG at legally constituted meetings. The board, made up of volunteers, is a policy governance board. Meetings consist of decision-making and policy establishment. The board and the Executive Director partner to lead and manage the SWG. In addition, a board member can volunteer to serve on Standing Committees and Board Committees.
The board holds between six to seven meetings a year. Meetings are generally held in person and occur in a variety of locations throughout Saskatchewan.
Please click on the picture to see the full PDF.
Roles and composition
- Establish the guiding principles and policies for the organization.
- Delegate responsibility and authority to those who are responsible for enacting the principles and policies.
- Monitor compliance with those guiding principles and policies.
- Ensure that staff, and board alike are held accountable for their performance.
- Set policy and direction for the SWG and to continually evaluate its effectiveness.
- Make decisions as a whole - directors cannot act individually.
- Abide by the SWG’s code of ethics, conflict of interest, and confidentiality policies.
The SWG is committed to a collaborative work environment. In support of that commitment, the Executive Director is recognized as a trusted advisor to the board and invited to attend and contribute to all board meetings except when the board holds an in-camera discussion.
There are usually ten members on the SWG Board of Directors, and no more than half of the elected directors reside in one city in the province. There are Board Committees that directors from the board volunteer to chair (Audit, Governance, and Nominations Committees, and special ad hoc committees as they arise).
Current Board of Directors
David J. Schleich
Dirck de Lint
Time commitment and terms
- The SWG Board of Directors regularly meet six to seven times per year in Regina, Saskatoon or somewhere in-between.
- The board occasionally conducts board development activities and facilitated strategic planning sessions.
- The November meeting is the Board Orientation meeting when directors decide who will fill the role of Vice-President, and Chairs of committees.
- The SWG reimburses travel and accommodation expenses, where needed, to attend a meeting or approved events.
- The President shall be elected for a one-year term by a general vote at the AGM.
- All other directors shall be elected for two-year terms by a general vote at the AGM.
- Directors shall be elected on a rotating basis with ideally four positions filled every year.
- No director shall serve more than two consecutive terms.
- Fifty percent of the voting directors present shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of a meeting of the Board of Directors.
The office of a Director shall be automatically vacated if:
- The person ceases to be a resident of Saskatchewan;
- The person has the status of bankrupt;
- The person submits a bona fide letter of resignation to the board
- The person without satisfactory justification is absent from two board meetings within one fiscal year;
- The board votes by a vote of two-thirds of the directors to remove a director by due process; or
- The voting members by ordinary resolution at a special meeting of members vote to remove the person as a director.
Annual General Meeting
The Guild’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) is held in conjunction with the Fall Conference. The AGM takes place on Saturday of the Conference and is an event where only SWG members can vote.
Former Board Presidents