Annual Award recognizing outstanding volunteers
The Hyland Volunteer Award recognizes the many achievements of the SWG members through their volunteer support of the Saskatchewan literary community. Do you know an SWG hero who deserves recognition for their exceptional volunteerism? Consider nominating an individual who supports our writing community through their tireless service and dedication, or considering nominating yourself for all of your hard work. It could be a previous SWG board member, a SWG member who volunteers for other local, provincial or national literary organizations or someone who consistently helps out at literary events. Let’s recognize those outstanding members who bind us together!
The Hyland Volunteer Award is presented by the SWG Board of Directors at the SWG's Annual General Meeting. In 2022, the presentation will be made on Saturday October 22 in Regina. The winner receives a certificate and fountain pen.
We will accept nominations for other people OR self-nominations. Please ensure the nominated volunteer meets the award criteria below.
2022 nomination deadline is Thursday September 15 at midnight.
- The recipient must be an SWG member and a resident of the province.
- Recognition is for volunteer contributions made within the writing community on a local, provincial, or national level.
- The nominee must be a volunteer in the writing community for a minimum of five years. This can include: former SWG Directors; volunteers for SWG office and events; or volunteers in the community itself, such as people who devote time and energy to helping other writers or fostering the community.
- The nominee must have provided outstanding service to the growth and development of the SWG and the writing community through their volunteer commitment.
- A maximum of two awards will be presented in any year. No award will be presented should the Board decide that a recipient cannot be selected from the nominations put forth.
- Awards will not be made posthumously.
History of the Award
In 2007, the SWG Board of Directors changed the name of this award from the Volunteer Leadership Award to the Hyland Volunteer Award. This award is named after Gary Hyland who, through volunteer efforts on behalf of the SWG and within the community of Moose Jaw, made a significant contribution to the Saskatchewan writing community. He received the Saskatchewan Volunteer Medal and was made a Member of the Order of Canada in recognition of these contributions.
Previous Winners of the Hyland Volunteer Award (previously the Volunteer Leadership Award)
- Lois Simmie
- Lynda Monahan
- Dave Glaze
- Robert Calder
- Gerald Hill
- Brenda Baker
- Byrna Barclay
- Sharon Butala
- Robert Currie
- Regine Haensel
- Gary Hyland
- William Klebeck
- Pat Krause
- Alison Lohans
- Dave Margoshes
- Judy McCrosky
- Ken Mitchell
- Brenda Niskala
- James Romanow
- Bernadette Wagner
- Danica Lorer
- Cathy Fenwick
- Bruce Rice
- Rita Bouvier
For more information, please contact:
T: 306.791.7743 | E: email@example.com