The Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild is seeking a new Saskatchewan Poet Laureate for a two-year term (August 1, 2023 – July 31, 2025).
Saskatchewan’s Poet Laureate is an ambassador for the literary community in Saskatchewan and engages communities and organizations across the province in poetry initiatives or readings. The Poet Laureate should be willing to share their work publicly with diverse audiences at SWG and community events. Their work may occur both online and in person; some travel may be required. They are responsible for creating social media content for their Facebook page.
Information about the criteria and how to apply for the position is below. Application packages must be received by email by the extended deadline of midnight Monday, June 7, 2023. The successful poet will be determined by a jury and announced in July.
Saskatchewan Poet Laureate
- celebrate the spirit of the people and place of Saskatchewan through the literary arts
- raise the profile of writers in Saskatchewan
- elevate writing as a vocation
- raise awareness of the power of poetry and the spoken word
- act as an Ambassador for writing in general, poetry in particular, and for the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild
The Poet Laureate will meet the following criteria:
- have a significant body of work, including a minimum of two books of poetry, professionally published
- have achieved recognition for the literary merit of their work
- have a record of public involvement in the literary life of the province (e.g. teaching; delivering workshops; giving readings; writing reviews and articles; service on arts and literary boards and committees)
- be a current resident of Saskatchewan, and has been a resident for at least 2 of the past 3 years
- have means of reliable transportation and is willing to conduct duties both in-person and online.
- represent the literary community and/or read their poetry or perform their spoken word at events throughout Saskatchewan to which the Laureate has been officially invited;
- involvement in the Poetry Soiree organized by the Lieutenant Governor’s Office (April) and SWG events like Poetry & A Pint;
- will have the opportunity to create/coordinate a poetry event or initiative for April as National Poetry Month
- use digital engagement during their term;
- it is not expected that the Poet Laureate write new work for any event/invitation; the responsibility is on the PL whether to accept such a request.
Length of Term & Remuneration
The Poet Laureate term is two years (August 1, 2023 – July 31, 2025).
The Poet Laureate will receive a $3,000 annual stipend to be paid in two payments of $1500 in December and July. Reading fees and travel expenses (if applicable) for a limited number of readings/events will be covered. Funding is available for a special poetry initiative or reading fees for other poets involved in Poet Laureate organized events.
To apply for the Saskatchewan Poet Laureate position, please submit the following to email@example.com as email attachments in either Word or PDF form:
- An application form
- A literary Curriculum Vitae (max 5 pages); please ensure this includes a brief bio, a complete list of publications as well as evidence of your involvement in the literary life of Saskatchewan
- A letter of intent (max 750 words) explaining the following:
- Why you want to be the Saskatchewan Poet Laureate
- How do you meet the criteria of the position you are applying for
- How you would like to engage people in poetry through an event, initiative or community visits. Activities must adhere to the objectives of the Poet Laureate program and should be publicly accessible.
- Your availability and ability as the nominated poet between Aug 1, 2023 – July 31, 2025.
- Up to 3 letters of reference
Applications not following the guidelines will not be forwarded to the jury for consideration. Please do not send google docs, links or documents longer than the limits stated above.
The application deadline is extended to Wednesday, June 7, 2023, at midnight.
Application Form - Word File Application Form - PDF File